The 'working woman' syndrome

Having entered the realm of the working world this month, I am sad to say that I also seem to have acquired the characteristics of a working woman, namely:

a) Lunch means finish your food in 5 mins and use the remaining 55 mins to prowl the streets and shopping centres of ____ (insert location of working place- in my case, Bugis), in search of good bargains/ sales/ cheap things to buy, whether you need them or not.
b) If the above plan fails, move onto plan B: instead of walking to the bus stop after work, you walk into the mall nearby.

Now this is something I swore I'd never do. But I did :$ I have since stopped though, because I realised that the depression accompanying the price tag on the blue top that I really wanted and was the last one in the shop that also fit oh-so-perfectly, is not worth the effort.Nor is the bank statement that comes at the end of the month and serves as a reminder of why I swore I would never do this. (I also have covered all the shops and malls in the vicinity, so now I just go home after work :P but that's just a minor detail- its Singapore after all, so there's always a new mall to visit).

Moving onto the rest of the habits that I have picked up,

c) The kind of clothes that I now am interested in owning are the same ones I used to laugh at and make fun of 5 years ago. Same goes for shoes and bags and earrings. Comforting though, is the fact that I have not yet crossed into the land of frills, lace, skinny jeans and tights. I really hope I never do (my faithful readers are granted permission to rap me on the head if they ever see me wearing one or more of the above mentioned items)
d) My range of shower gels, moisturizers, and body sprays are increasing at an alarming rate. I really don't know how this has happened (ok maybe I just don't want to admit it to myself) but I found myself checking online for vanilla perfume today in office :| Gone are the university days where a few choice fragrances were enough. Smelling nice has suddenly escalated to the top of my list for no real reason :P
e) I have too much of a social life. Seriously, its not just living in Holland ville, but I'm coming home everyday at 10-11pm. Some days I have to juggle meeting several people. All this has led to the reappearance of the panda eyes and a lack of energy to get from a horizontal to a vertical position in the morning.
f) Lunch is now inclusive of dessert. This was unheard of in university, but my love for chocolate and all things related has taken over and now my afternoon tea in office consists of cookies/ scones/ chocolates/ muffins/ cake (a.k.a a lot of unnecessary calories).
g) I am thinking of saving money and travelling with it. Now this is not so bad really, except that I also have to work out how to get enough leave for the tour of Europe (the mediterranean specifically) that I have planned.
h) Weekends that used to mean parties, shopping, and fine dining in the good old days, now mean sleep till noon, do laundry, clean the house, and catch up on all the TV shows missed during the week.

While revealing all this to the world out there (and to my own self..) I've now sworn not to give into the syndrome. Tonight I shall be home by 6.30pm and will push away all thoughts of vanilla perfume, shawls, and going to Italy.

*Sigh...*

No comments: