Of oatmeal and bananas...

I'm surrounded by healthy people and nutrition addicts :| And they make me, the chocolate chip cookie loving, coffee indulging, cinnamon bun hogging girl who spends half her weekend in bed, look bad :P My housemate, for example, is the model child and will be loved by mothers all around the world, and eats a lot of cucumber, asks for extra veggies, and has cereal and grapes for breakfast... At work, everyone goes on about the amount of oil in the kopitiam food (which I agree, is quite a bit, but i still love the food, specially this thai place that has awesome pineapple fried rice :$), the calories in buns from breadtalk, how switching to lean meat only has improved their physique (this came from a guy) and how having veggies and fruits as their afternoon snack has helped them maintain a balanced diet... Unfortunately, all of the 'unhealthy' food choices above are the ones that keep me alive :P (especially breadtalk!)

So in the last few weeks, i have succumbed to this health mania by doing the following:
1) I discovered cranberry and kiwi juice, which is now the main fluid in my system
2) I invested in bananas, something I haven't done in over a year, and they are convenient when there's nothing else to eat and also keep my potassium levels intact (to be all scientific about it..)
3) I have yogurt every day, in spite of it making my snifles a lot worse
4) My cheese went from the normal one to high calcium, reduced fat version, and it tastes the same ;)
5) My breakfast is toast (God bless our toaster!) and I strongly suspect I am getting addicted to it
6) I haven't had a burger in over 2 weeks (and i am experiencing withdrawal symptoms)
7) I walk to the MRT instead of taking the bus, which is 5 mins further away, even when I am in heels (but not when it rains :$), but most of the time because i'm late and the train is faster :P
8) I am starting to prefer whole meal bread to the normal white bread, even though i feel grandmotherly eating it
9) I discovered that Jacob's oatmeal cookies are lifesavers and taste much better than Oreos or cream crackers
10) I've gone back to my roots and taken an avid interest in drinking tea instead of milo or my second cup of coffee

I really hope I'm healthier now than I was before :P [I'm awaiting a sign from somewhere to tell me its working ;)] But strangely it hasn't been difficult at all... some of the changes just happened and I didn't even notice it on a conscious level... ( like the supermarket being out of normal bread and whole meal being the only option :P)

On the other hand, i haven't stopped my caffeine intake, or controlled the cravings for chocolate or scones or muffins or cookies (there's a place near work that has THE BEST scones ever!) but i am still quite content and i have convinced myself to eat while i can and worry about the rest of it when i have to (hopefully in 40 years from now!) ;)

No comments: