Little India and its unique.... atmosphere.

I've been visiting the Little India/ Farrer Park/ Serangoon areas quite a bit in the last couple of weeks, particularly during the weekends (I had no choice given my status as a working girl now :P). My last venture into that side of S'pore was on Saturday when Nips and I met Uda, Kadam, Saad and the gang for dinner there... Honestly, I seriously advice against girls going there on their own for a spot of shopping or whatever on a weekend, specially in the night... It's not that its dangerous really (its Singapore after all) but its a bit creepy still... you get throngs and throngs of Indians and the like all meeting up and hanging out in groups there... And what bugs me the most about them is the way they all STARE. I'm still trying to understand this... and i'm failing miserably :P They look at you like they're seeing a woman for the first time, and its not just a parting glance or glare but its a long oggling uncomfortable look :S

Now this isn't limited to just Indians, because Sri lankans are no better.. My SL girl friends will know what I mean; if u walk into a mall in Colombo, you're immeditely hit with a tidal wave of stares and sniggers and nudges... I mean seriously can't guys be a little DISCREET if they still want to oggle? There is a huge difference between checking out a girl (which somehow is a habit men in general cannot overcome :P) and looking at a girl like u're picturing her naked or something...If they think it bugs us, they're falling a bit short really... It peeves me off!! And even though Gen said its probably safer there with the million odd ppl than on an alley with a bunch of 5 hooligans in some other country, it really doesn't make you feel better when ur smack in the middle of all these people... Its really unnerving.. But i guess what makes it a little worse is that I've seen women stare too! Not in the same pervy way, but more of a disapproving, oh-my-gosh-what-are-you-wearing kind of way... I mean seriously, being in Singapore, people really need to be a little more open minded... its must be painful being so disapproving and critical of everything! :S

The second thing that I was thinking about is why Indians never move out of little India and those areas to hang out... I mean other than the food and the familiarity of the place I can't think of any other reasons why they want to stay localised... But you'd never seen a bunch of them in Orchard or Novena or Jurong on a weekend... I guess its the whole territorial feel to it.. But its strange that for the very same reasons, we avoid the place unless we really HAVE to go there :P

No comments: