Virtual insanity

And nothing's gonna change the way we live
'Cause we can always take and never give

And now that things are changing for the worse,

See, it's a crazy world we're living in.
-Jamiroquai
I love that track.. :D

So this post was going to be about how technology is affecting us all, taking over the world, etc. Nothing new I know.

But there's always a flipside right? Like for instance, doesn't it creep you out that people can be really really different online versus offline? Like some weird split/multiple personality disorder. And I'm not talking about online dating and stuff, where you know nothing about other person at all; I'm talking about people you know- friends, acquaintances, etc. The 'Facebook personality' is sometimes completely different from who the person is, in person.

I guess the 'online' life gives you more freedom and options to be who you want to be, without actually having to undergo a permanent personality makeover. It centres around the whole the 'ideal/perceived self versus real self' discrepancy maybe?

The other thing I don't get is how people want to be your Facebook friend, but if you actually bump into them, there's no acknowledgement or even eye contact; you're just another stranger. Bizarre.

I'm all for technology making life easier and connecting people, but I don't think it's worth if it comes at the price of getting sucked into the vortex, and losing sense of reality in the process..

No comments: