The irony... of death

'The popularity of an individual in life often only manifests itself in death.'

I've been trying to finish Sons of Fortune by Jeffery Archer for a shamefully long time now, and yesterday on the bus I came across this line in the book.. So nicely said.

To play down the morbidity, the number of Facebook friends you have is only a rough guage of how liked/loved/hated/despicable/popular you are. If only we could see the number of people who'd turn up at our funerals, it would be a nice final visual to die with I guess, knowing that at least you mattered to those who turned up... Even if a grand total of only 8 people attend :p Though the numbers need to be adjusted too- depending on where you die, how many of your friends/family members have passed before you, how many people actually do hate you but came anyway to make sure you were really dead, etc..

I have no idea why I'm writing this on a Saturday morning :p And no, rest assured I'm not feeling suicidal/depressed/homicidal or anything, I just really liked that quote.. Back to the book then :)

3 comments:

Praveen Nam said...

Why so serioussss? :-P

thefallez said...

I loved Sons of Fortune... But which part of the book is the quote from? And who said it? I can't believe I can't recall such a nice line =P

Unknown said...

weirdo!! don't diieeeeeee!!!!!!! hehehe