Swedish Midsummer in Singapore ;)

Yup it was kinda revisiting another part of my life, from way long ago, a lot of which i don't remember cos i was too little, but i do remember the maypole and the flowers in my hair :)
Swedish Midsummer is on the 21st and 22nd of June, when Swedes celebrate the longest day in the 2-3 week summer in Sweden. Its the day of the midnight sun too, where you can actually see the sun at midnight in the north of Sweden and other places there.
Erik and Shirin invited Nips and me over for the celebrations :) it was a really good night, and we did everything but dance around the makeshift maypole in the living room (a chair :P) They'd made all these traditional swedish dishes and finger food, and we had mango margaritas and shots of Schnapps, which are these alcoholic drinks with different spices in them. Hehe they went down fast and strong, and i'm still recovering :P
But what was best and most refreshing i think was meeting all those really cool ppl. There was Gustav from Sweden, June who's Singaporean but African-American-Malay, Dave from Leeds, Christine from some Chinese-Dutch-Portugese-Indian heritage, and Kiran, Max, Erik and Shirin of course. I blended in nicely with my hybrid background too ;) They had so many interesting stories about life and the culture in different countries, and I learnt so much just listening to them while laughing our guts out :D
I think one of the mistakes i made in university was not staying in touch with my 'international' friends enough. Maybe its the whole sieged mentality thing when we come here as foreign students and tend to stick with our own for company. But i've learned the hard way that most of the time, thats a mistake, and more often than not, you're better off making new friends :) But that's a story for another time...
All in all, it was a great midsummer night ;) It'll be nice to flip through the old albums at home and see the pics of little me holding hands and doing the 'frog dance' around the real maypole with flowers in my hair and a big smile on my face, and think that even in Singapore, 15 yrs later, the big smile on my face is still there. I just need those flowers... ;)


No comments: