The Bookworm/Movieclub post

This 'review' has been in the writing (?) for a while now, and never neared completion because I kept getting distracted. Usually by colourful/shiny objects. Haha. But I've finally got around to completing and updating it, so here goes:

Reads
The Five people you meet in heaven: Loved it- thanks Maz! It's on the BBC list of 100 books you must read before you die- so really, you must read :) It's not that long either. And not twisted, like the Alchemist, which gave me a headache now and then.

Extremely loud and incredibly close: This took serious effort to read. And I was confused 70% of the time. But it grows on you if you keep at it, and when you get past the blurry bits, its actually a good book. It has pictures too ;)

Let the right one in: Shamefully, I never finished this. Though I've vowed to go back to it one day. It's by a Swedish author so I had to try it, and well, QJ recommended it (and I'm never reading anything he recommends again :p) But it touches on some of the more touchy issues like child abuse and bullying and incest, etc. Throw in a vampire and some killing and there you have it. I think I might watch the movie before I finish the book :p

Monsoon rains and icicle drops: Just awesome. It's about an Australian woman who's literally travelled the world, and now lives in Sri Lanka, working in the tourism industry. It's an amazing account of the places she's been, the things she's done and seen, and the whole experience of picking yourself up when you hit rock bottom. I actually wrote to her to tell her how much I loved the book- and she wrote back! :D A story for another time though.

The curious incident of the dog in the night time: What I'm reading now. It's got me in stitches so far, and I'm loving the way its written (from a 15 year old autistic kid's point of view). This is on the BBC list too- and I can see why :)

Movies
G.I.Joe: Ridiculously bad. The plot was weird, the acting was horrendous, and it really was quite sucky. Channing Tatum, however, made up for all of it by just smiling... *melts*

The Proposal: Funny and entertaining. It's a classic chick flick though, but again, Ryan Reynolds is hot and Sandra Bullock is always funny. Loved it, probably because my hopeless romantic self loves the occasional good soppy movie.

District 9: Whoa. That was the one reaction I had to the movie. It was refreshing and novel, the filming, the storyline and the whole alien vs humans debate. Hats off to Peter Jackson. Again :)

The Ugly Truth: Not your ordinary romantic comedy. Gerard Butler was pretty cool I thought, and though it was a predictable ending, it was still an enjoyable movie. Men are strange creatures.

G-Force: Ok the only reason I watched this was because I was forced. It was cute, though that's about it :p

Surrogates: Bruce Willis has aged :p Though in a decent way. It's freaky to think of the world ever coming to that *shudder* Only in the movies I hope.

Inglorious Basterds: I can't believe I sat through a Quentin Tarantino movie and slept soundly after :p But admittedly, it was good. Brad Pitt is always nice to drool over, but the German villian was the best by far. I also liked the parallel story lines, though I kept forgetting where it left off :p

500 days of Summer: It really wasn't just another love story; it's more along the lines of Nick and Norah's infinite play list and Juno. Joseph Gordon-Levitt has come a long way since his days in Third Rock from the Sun :) And Summer is a girl, just in case that point was missed.

My sister's keeper: Ok going in I knew this would be really sad, and it was. I managed not to cry though :p But it was pretty good- Kate's acting was brilliant I thought. The one thing that really annoyed me was that they changed the ending from the book- and it was nowhere close or nearly as good. But between reading the book and watching the movie, I'd recommend the book. Picoult's style is captivating and just something else.

This is it: Absolutely and breathtakingly amazing. MJ, even at 51, had the stage presence, charisma and aura that made him the famously talented King of Pop. Watching it, I still couldn't believe he's gone: it was almost like being right there at his concert, singing along to the songs we grew up with and the dance moves we tried mastering.

Done! I should become a movie/book critic :D

3 comments:

insee said...

The curious incident of the dog in the night time... loved that one. makes complicated lives seem so simple.

Rashmila said...

read the curious incident...loved it... came across your blog... u write quirkily. :)

Amri said...

@Insee- Agreed! Break it down to the basics I say ;)

@Rashmila- Thanks! I'll be checking your blog out too :)