MJ sure rocked my world :)

I was watching snippets of his memorial service on TV today and was reminded of a quote from a book by Jeffery Archer: 'the popularity of an individual in life often only manifests itself in death'.

I wish people had appreciated MJ more in life, especially over the last few years, when he wasn't actively performing or at his peak; that they had judged his talent and music less by who he was, and more by how uniquely different and great it was. The outpouring of grief all over the world just goes to show how much his music brought people together; how one of the greatest entertainers of our era made an impact on people's lives that will probably last generations to come. I grew up listening to Billie Jean and Liberian Girl; my brother grew up trying to perfect the 'moonwalk'; my parents still have his albums that they bought in the 80s. I'm sure he's sold more albums this weekend than he has over the last couple of years, but music like his is timeless and he changed the face of entertainment in a way only few other people have. He may be gone, but he's left the world with a lot to remember him by.

As a personal tribute to him, I'm posting my favourite MJ video- I loved watching this as a kid, more for the changing faces in the video than anything else, but the song is still on my playlist today :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sigh...how sad :( i actually cried while watching his memorial service :(