That elusive thing called happiness

Lately, in the hours when I am mentally free to wonder about life and all its quirks, I've been visiting the notion of happiness quite a bit.. I guess its b'cos I've been seeing and hearing the unhappy side of people a lot, and I've been trying to analyse myself and find out if I'm really and truly happy (its hard work so I'm still not done :P) I think everyone has their own definition of happiness, and they measure themselves against that definition and rate their happiness accordingly.. The funny thing is that, while its so easy to compare yourself to someone else, rate how 'happy' you are in relation to other people, what makes you so sure that other people are happy? It is b'cos they look/seem happy according to what you define as 'happy'? If you break it down that way, you could be comparing yourself to people you think are happy but may not be, so basically your self rating of happiness is based on someone who may not even be happy! I think I'm talking in circles now... :p

Moving on to the other questions swirling around, is happiness really a choice? Or is it one of those things that you wake up one day and feel, for no particular reason, but is gone just as quick? Do you make it happen or wait till it sweeps you off your feet?
As an afterthought, I don't quite like this philosophical version of me that has emerged :s But then as I told a friend the other day, I'm experimenting with the different forms of writing, and I guess my blog is a canvas in that sense... (again, philosophical :p) In account for my renewed learning of the French language, I should probably have a French post too..Haha now there's a thought ;)

No comments: